Google Plus Shutting Down


Google Plus shutting down for consumers. In December 2018 Google announced that they would be shuttering their Google+ social networking site for good due “to low usage and challenges involved in maintaining a successful product that meets consumers’ expectations.” I'm betting it is really because the big deal about the privacy bug, but that's a whole another blog post in itself.
On April 2nd, your Google+ account and any Google+ pages you created will be shut down and we will begin deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts. Photos and videos from Google+ in your Album Archive and your Google+ pages will also be deleted. You can download and save your content, just make sure to do so before April. Note that photos and videos backed up in Google Photos will not be deleted.  
The process of deleting content from consumer Google+ accounts, Google+ Pages, and Album Archive will take a few months, and content may remain through this time. For example, users may still see parts of their Google+ account via activity log and some consumer Google+ content may remain visible to G Suite users until consumer Google+ is deleted.
 I'll admit that my usage of the service declined over the years, but that was because of the lack of friends that I knew wouldn't jump on board with me. Sure I could have made new online friends through G+, but that's not what I was aiming for. I wanted to move away from the Privacy Violating, Memory hog and bandwidth sucking site wee know as Facebook. But it didn't happen. So I mainly resorted to using it to link whore my stuff to draw traffic to my sites.

But that said, I've noticed the wording in their statements. The word, "Consumer." They use that word as if there is another type of user that they will keep the site operational for. After all, you can't have a Consumer without a Market right? So are they going to keep G+ open for companies? Just something for you to think about... ;)

I wish the site took off though. I really like the fact that the site loads up clean and smooth. Unlike Facebook that sucks bandwidth like crazy loading up background apps and advertising cookies and java code to scrape through all your private matters to sell to advertisers. Facebook is such a resource hog. Just look at the progress bar at the bottom of your browser when you load up Facebook. You'll see all the different things the site is opening up and running on your end. It's crazy!

Well, I guess this is it Google Plus. It's been a pleasure. If for only a short time.
So long.....

Post a Comment

0 Comments